Music Co-ordinator: Mr M Bawn
Music is a universal language that embodies one of the highest forms of creativity. A highquality music education should engage and inspire pupils to develop a love of music and their talent as musicians, and so increase their self-confidence, creativity and sense of achievement. As pupils progress, they should develop a critical engagement with music, allowing them to compose, and to listen with discrimination to the best in the musical canon.
National Curriculum Aims:
The national curriculum for music aims to ensure that all pupils:
- perform, listen to, review and evaluate music across a range of historical periods, genres, styles and traditions, including the works of the great composers and musicians
- learn to sing and to use their voices, to create and compose music on their own and with others, have the opportunity to learn a musical instrument, use technology appropriately and have the opportunity to progress to the next level of musical excellence
- understand and explore how music is created, produced and communicated, including through the inter-related dimensions: pitch, duration, dynamics, tempo, timbre, texture, structure and appropriate musical notations.
Music at our School
Music is enjoyed across the whole school as part of their curriculum and in Years 4 & 5 we have music specialist teachers from Kingston Music Service teaching Recorders (Y4) and Ukuleles (Y5) on a weekly basis.
- Once a week we have KS1 and KS2 Hymns of Worship which is led by our Music Coordinator.
- Every Christmas we sing in Kingston for the 'Turning on the lights.'
- We have had Infant Singing Workshops led by Kingston Music Service.
- We perform at the Music Festival at the Rose Theatre in Kingston.
Private Piano Lessons
Some of our children have 1:1 Piano lessons with Mrs Grellier, a piano teacher, on a weekly basis. These lessons take place during the school day, in our school chapel, on our school piano. When the students are ready they sit their music exam with ABRSM (Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music).
Congratulations to the following pupils for their fantastic achievement in their Grade 1 exam (Summer term 2017)
Lucas Santos Ricco Janace
Passed with Merit Passed with Distinction
Private Guitar Lessons
Some of our children have private 1:1 or group lesson with a guitar teacher from KMS (Kinsgton Music Services). These lessons take place during the school day or after school on agreed days.
Have a look at the videos of us during the Infant Singing Workshop.